I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Monday, January 16, 2017

Review : Jack : The True Story of jack and the Beanstalk by Liesl Shurtliff

Title : Jack : The True Story of Jack and the Beanstalk
Author : Liesl Shurtliff
Publication date : April 14th 2015 by Knopf Books for Young Readers 

If you hang out on this blog often, you'd know that I am a big fan of fairytale retelling and middlegrade fiction. Jack : The True Story of Jack and the Beanstalk is both, so yay for me! Well, a few years back, YA fiction was filled with lots of retellings (and dystopia, ugh!), but not in middle grade books. I am glad I found this one and was so excited to read it.

I am sure as heck that all of you are already familiar with the classicstory Jack and The Beanstalk. The novel is pretty similar, though it has a few differences as well. This book involves a curse, the naughty boy Jack, the magic hen who lay eggs non-stop (yeah I know the magic hen also exists on the original story, but for the life of me, I swear it doesn't lay egg non-stop, yes?) and a sister! Guys! Jack has a sister, do you know that? I bet you don't!

Liesl Shurtliff's version of Jack and The Beanstalk begins when the crops on Jack village mysteriously disappear. Their cattle, too. It turns out that the giants are behind it all so Jack decides it has to end and he alone would face the giants. Bad-ass move, don't you think? That's all the description you're getting, ladies and gentlemen because otherwise the story is spoiled considering you already know how it goes in the original story.

This novels is hilarious. I spent my time checking my belly to make sure if it's still alright. I laughed out loud until it hurts me. You really should read this book, I swear it won't be disappointing. And those giants have the funniest king ever!
The queen sat down on the smaller throne, next to the king and held Prince Archie on the lap. "I thought our son should know how a kingdom is ruled," she said, "since it will be his kingdom one day."

"That won't be necessary," said King Barf, sneering at the baby. "I've decided I shall never die."

"How will you manage that?"

"Magician will see to it."
Gosh, I love King Barf to bits! Every fairytale should have a king like him. Well, actually I love every characters in this book. Jack especially is a gifted adventurer and funny like mad. He, along with he annoying little sister makes a deadly combo for a story like this. Oh, even the giants are so lovable. I could ramble on and on on why I love this book, but I'm going to stop now as you already get the idea.

Easy high 5 rating for Jack : The True Story of Jack and the Beanstalk. Grab it now, you won't regret it. Prepare a cup of hot chocolate, and lay down on your favorite reading spot. See, happiness is simple! How about you, guys? Do you have any favorite fairytale retelling?





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...