I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Do You Still Read Classic Books?

Photo Courtesy of Monterey Public Library
Jane Eyre, Les Miserables, Pride and Prejudice, maybe these tittles pop into your mind when you hear the world "classic books." They are indeed literary gems and some of them are even unforgettable. Some people read them because it is mandatory during school years while others read them for fun.

Honestly, schools in my country don't require us to read English classic books. There are however, excerpts from Indonesian classics novels in school text books. Still, we are not "forced" to read it. I read classic because I was curious.



One day, when I was about 10, my parents took me to see a movie called The Last of Mohicans. I know it might not be a suitable movie for a child to watch, but maybe my parents were too worried to leave me alone at home *grins*

I don't clearly remember about the movie's storyline. All I know that it was full of blood, war, guns and Native Americans. The Last of Mohicans is a great movie, and it enticed me to read classic books. I thought ALL classics are as magnificent, but I was wrong!

Not all classics are jaw dropping enjoyable. To be honest, I didn't enjoy Anne of Green Gables (I even regret reading it). To me, it's just a story of a girl's flat boring life. And I can make sure, that kind of book would never reach publication nowadays.That's just one example because I've come across many classics that I don't like and it's enough to conclude that I prefer modern books to classics.

Now, let's talk about you! Do you still read classic books? Why? Is it because you enjoy it or is it because of school project? I'd like to hear more from you!


4 comments:

  1. I love your blog design. But am not really a book warm. I just read anything that caught my fantasy. cheap cell phone online

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello ceejay. Thanks for the compliment. Well, not everyone is a bookworm and it's completely okay if you are not :)

    Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like reading classic book. I dont know, maybe its just me who adore historycal life.. its kinda romantic for me.. hahaha..
    I've read Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Les Miserables, Hucklebery Finn, Tom Sawyer, Pride and Prejudice.

    So far, Jane Eyre is my favorite. And I read it definitely not because school project :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that some classics are indeed unforgettable. I also love Les Miserables (in fact it is one of my favorite book of all time!)

    I haven't read Jane Eyre even though it's on my to read list for a long time. Its thickness scares me :P (do I sound shallow?). Maybe I should give that book a try!

    Thanks for stopping by, Ana! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...