I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Not Qualified for ARC? No Worries!

In the past, popularity of a book blog is measured by the number of ARCs he/she got. The more the merrier. I'd love to think that nowadays this seems not to be in the norm anymore and while some people still believe in this, I'd like add my two cents worth. This post is dedicated for new book bloggers, I used to be new, too and I understand that this ARC thing can sometimes play with your blogging confidence. Trust me, my friends, you are doing great.


I used to be so curious with ARC. How could they get early reading chance? Oh, those bloggers must be a rock star in disguise! Since I adopt easy-going blogging method, I don't really care about them anymore. I also realize that books never really go out of date (Jane Eyre, anyone? That book was first published in 1847 and it's still being read today). So, I personally think that ARC in a book blogging world -- apart from being publisher's promotional tool -- doesn't really bring an important mission. Now here are some other reasons why I believe it's alright not to have them on your blog.

Some ARCs are uncorrected proofs
Yep, you read that right. I have no idea if this kind of ARC is still popular (please let me know!), but I am pretty sure that reading it would be a not so pleasant experience. Imagine having to read hundreds of pages with spelling errors here and there and oh, since it's "uncorrected" there's a possibility that the author changed the plot into something totally different. I much prefer reading finished and polished copies, thank you.

ARC is not free lunch
Although I am pretty sure that book bloggers get the ARC for free, they still have to "pay" the publishers/authors with their time. And with time I mean being set on schedule. This might seem simple, but it's very difficult to do especially if you are not a full time blogger. It would be quite overwhelming if you are a student, or have a day job and children and sooner of later reading will feel like a chore to you. Not fun, if you ask me.

ARC can be worse than DNF-ing 
Every bookworm usually has this phase of of feeling guilty when not finishing a book they chose to read. In my case, I have outgrown it. Well, some people never outgrow it and even have this superb commitment to always read until the last page. ARC can bring guilt, too. Imagine a day where you cannot fulfill the deadline review because you have been so busy, for example. Deep down you will worry and have this guilt of disappointing the ARC providers.

ARC can bring dilemmas
This applies to published copies too, anyway. They usually have book tour or other promotional stuffs attached which, if you are not careful will make your blog lose its voice. Too many promotional stuffs is never a good thing. There's a possibility of you being confused whether to please your readers or the publishers. It's a tough choice I hope you will never have to make, but if so, I hope you already know which steps to take.

*  *  *  *  *

Alright guys, that's it. This post is never meant to persuade you to refuse accepting ARC, but more as an encouragement for you that you can still be a book blogger even if you are not qualified for them yet. They're not always sunshine and rainbows, and while fun to accept, they also come with responsibilities. So, how about you? Have you received many ARC? What do you think people should know about ARC?





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...