I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Sunday, July 22, 2012

How To Write Negative Book Review

Oh, who hasn't crossed path with a not so good book? None, I am sure. As a blogger, sometimes this is the cause of my resentment. My time is precious, and I've just wasted it to a book I couldn't care less about. Well, maybe it's time to pat yourself on the back because you've just dealt with the downside part of being a book blogger and as much as I hate telling you this, you'll face it again from time to time and it's an avoidable thing for a bookworm.



This post is by no means an official guide. This is just how I write reviews for books I don't enjoy. Since the first time I started blogging about book, a negative review is something that I don't really like to write, but then again, I have to be honest so I should tell it like it is. I also find that negative review is hard to write because you have to pin point the main weakness of the book, without being insulting. Now, these are how I write mine:

There's no need to be mean
Have you ever tried to write your own book? Well, if you have then you should know that writing is not an easy task. So, take it easy and relax. Anger will not help. But that book has wasted my precious time! Well, no one force you to read it in the first place, right? Anyway, if you are a blogger who reflects anger in your post, your readers will question your integrity and that's not cool.

Do not, I repeat, do not insult the author
Yes, he/she is the one who created the book, but then again we do not have the right to judge others, let alone insult them. Personal attack is a big no no. It's the book that you don't like, not the author, so leave him/her alone. That's impossible, how should I write about the book I loathe without offending the author? 

Well, actually it's very possible! Check out this example:

Bad review :
"I have no idea how this author managed to get his/her book published! He/she clearly has no clue on how to write! I will give one star rating for any books from this author from now on!"
Good review :
"I find the story to be very slow, the plot bores me. The characters are unbelievable and the narration is difficult to understand."
See the difference? So, since we are bookworms, let's just focus on the book. On the other hand, if you have something nice to say about the book, I recommend letting the author to get the credit. For example:
"I love how the author does the world building. He/she perfectly draws his/her readers into the world he created."
You may think that it sounds a bit "double standard" however writing a negative review doesn't mean that you can't be friendly, right?

Don't take it too seriously
I know you may regret picking it, but let's face it, all of us bookworms have to deal with it sometimes. What could help you is not to have a big expectation for it in the first place. We may have a favorite author or series we have been wanting to read for months and it turn out to be a so so book. Feel free to feel disappointed, but then just let it go. We have our bad day sometimes, just like authors whose books sometimes aren't just their best.

Okay, that's all for now, I think. Of course, I'd love to hear from you as well. How do you write your negative review, do you have any tips and tricks that you find helpful? Feel free to drop a comment!

Related post:

What Kind of Books Get Five Stars from You?


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Stefanie, I hope you find it helpful :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tips! I notice that recently many reviews about bad books are mostly insult the author. I just don't like the way they wrote their review by insult the author, or by said something terrible. I hope people will learn from this tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame and I believe personal attack is never okay. I think they really need to calm down. A bad book is not the end of the world, right?

      Delete
  3. I agree with your point about not insulting the author.
    When I made reviews about books that i don't like, i usually focused my critics on the content of the books or the packaging of the books (cover design, fonts, paper, typo errors) not the author. Because I know that finishing the book itself is already awesome. And I tried to point the strong aspect the book had. However, sometimes I feel bad to the author too from criticising her/his book so much.
    Writing bad reviews is never pleasant for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't agree more. I don't enjoy writing a negative review too. It only reminds me of the reading experience that I did not enjoy LOL. Does that even makes sense? :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...