I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Review : Roseflower Creek by Jackie Lee Miles

Tittle : Roseflower Creek
Author : Jackie Lee Miles
Publication date :  May 1, 2010 by Cumberland House (2nd Edition)

Let me tell you how the book started. It began with "the morning I died, it rained." Now, who wouldn't be tempted to pick it up and continue reading? Yes, that's how it caught my attention and I have to say the day I finished reading Roseflower CreekI sighed.

A dead ten-year-old Lori Jean is the one who narrated this story. Pretty intruiging, right? She's also the main character of the book. Set in 1950s, this book is about the life of the little girl and the adults who were involved. Life was hard and complex back then and it got worse when Ray Pruitt, Lori Jean's step father came into their life.

I can't write more details because I might spoil the story and it would not do you any favor. Roseflower Creek touched my heart since the very opening sentence. Yes, this book is different and I can say it's one of the most underrated book out there. The author has amazing writing style, which I love every element of it. Miles really knows how to make the characters strong and believable at the same time.

When I wasn't reading this book, it kind of haunted me. I kept on wandering what happened next to Lori Jean or would the antagonist get what he deserved. And when I began to think that I could predict where the story was going, I ended up getting lost. Nope, I didn't have any clue how the story went and I am so glad of it. I love unpredictable book more than anything!

The book is filled with Southern dialect. For people whose first language is not English, it may slows you down because you have to figure out what the characters were saying. Nothing so heavy though, I still can get through the whole book without any problem. And when I reached last pages, it made me smile, though it's not a happy book to begin with.

I recommend Roseflower Creek to historical fiction fan, those of you who are looking for a sad book. Since this book has been in my mind for the past few days, it deserves the 5 rating. It also has convince me enough to look forward to read more books by Jackie Lee Miles.

How about you? Have you read this novel?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...