I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Review : The Islands of The Blessed by Nancy Farmer

Tittle : Islands of The Blessed (Sea of Trolls #3)
Author : Nancy Farmer
Publication date :October 20, 2009 by Atheneum Books

The Islands of the Blessed is the final book of Sea of Trolls Trilogy. I have this book sitting for a while in my to-read list. Its thickness actually scared me *grins* but then I remember how much I enjoyed the first two books and it was enough to convince me to picked it up.

Jack the bard apprentice, Thorgil the shield maiden and Bard the dragon tongue were once again on an adventure. This time, a mermaid ghost was haunting the village for a revenge, killing people and spreading disease. She wanted justice for the man that caused her death. Jack, Thorgil and Bard agreed to help her in order to save the people, so they went for another adventure to interesting places and of course, interesting creatures.

I have to say that the first two books are more enjoyable than The Islands of the Blessed. This time, the story starts very slowly. I reached chapter three, but I still had no clear idea of what the main conflict was. I like the characters, they are strong as usual and I think I like Thorgil more and more. Yes, she may be aggressive and a snob, but she's a very loyal person.

The world building is fantastic as always. Farmer sure does know how to explain things well and the world she created is crystal clear in my mind. What bothers me in this story is the ending. There are still unfinished "business" left, like many of the important characters in the second book that I as the reader do not know what exactly happened to them. Since the played an important part in Jack, Thorgil and Bard's journey, I do think they deserve an important ending too.

Overall, I think Sea of Trolls is still a worthy series to read. Well, at least the first book still has it own place in my heart. It's one of my most loved book of all time (yes, I know how ridiculous that is, since it's almost impossible for us bookworms to pick "the best book" ever).

3 rating for The Islands of the Blessed, 4 rating for the whole Sea of Trolls trilogy. I recommend this series for fantasy lovers, those of you who love stories about sailing or Norse mythology fan. Now, have you read this series? What did you think of it? Are you familiar with other Nancy Farmer's novel?

Check out more post of Sea of Trolls trilogy!

Review : Sea of Trolls (Book 1)
Review : The Land of Silver Apples (Book 2)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...