I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Monday, January 9, 2017

Review : The Midwive's Confession by Diane Chamberlain

Title : The Midwive's Confession
Author : Diane Chamberlain
Publication date : April 26th 2011 by Mira 

The Midwife's Confession is my second time reading Chamberlain's work. I read The Good Father a few years ago and I liked it. This book has been sitting on my to-read list for a while. I was actually on a mild reading slump and by picking this up, I was hoping to chase it away.

The Midwive's Confession is a story about three best friends, Noelle, Tara and Emerson. Met at college, their friendship grew but despite of the closeness, one of the girls (the midwife, of course) hid a very dark secret that changed their life forever.

As cheesy as it sounds, I had to admit that I expected this book to be a novel version of a soap opera. Well, I wasn't completely wrong, but The Midwive's Confessions is just more than that. I like the way Chamberlain describes the friendship. I envy those girl.
“If you have a friend, a good friend, a woman you love, and you learn she’s done something abominable, do you stop loving her?” 
Er... I take that back. I am not envious. Sorry.

This book is full of twist and turns (and dangerous curves as well!). It's a nail-biting as a typical crime book, and you'd forget that you are reading a chicklit. This was also unexpected by me. When I thought one secret was finally revealed, another one appeared.
I stared at the phone in my hand for a moment, then started to cry, hugging the phone to my heart. I sat on the stool next to the kitchen island and sobbed so hard my tears pooled on the granite. I'd thought I was done with this part of the grief -- this sucking down, soul searing pain -- but apparently not.
For some people's taste, it might seem overdone, though however, I think the twists are still reasonable. I don't mind them as long as the story is still unpredictable and in this case, it is. What made me cringe a bit from this book is the typical rebellious teenager who disrespected her mother. Why are teenagers often portrayed as a**holes? There are many good and sweet teenagers in real world, highlight them! Honestly, I can never relate with that kind of characters and I dislike it.

5 rating for The Midwive's Confession. Despite of its weakness, I digest this book within 24 hour so yeah, it speaks volume. Have you read any books by Diane Chamberlain? Do you like twist and turns in a story? Do you think it can be overdone?






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...