I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Review : The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Tittle       : The Night Circus
Author    : Erin Morgenstern
Publication date : September 13th 2011 by Doubleday

First of all, I was completely wrong about this The Night Circus's genre. I was pretty sure that this is going to be a fantasy or something like that, but nope, it's far for fantasy. Yes, there are some tricks and magic in the story (hey, it's a circus, after all!), but since it's so poetic, I believe literary fiction would be the right category for this book.

Let me tell you that I have this odd habit of not wanting to read a summary of a book. I hate spoiler so much that I even loathe summary or back cover description. I like to read the book blindly so I can feel the surprises. Yes, The Night Circus surprised me.

Erin Morgenstern did a great job with her debut novel. I kept on telling my self about that because if you see how the book is written, it's kind of unbelievable for a debut. It is beautifully written and extremely graphic. When I say extreme, I mean it. While reading this book, I could clearly picture the scene in my mind, it's like watching a movie!

Well, those are the good things about The Night Circus. Frankly, I can say that this type of novel is not for everyone. It's slow, and I found that the timeline is a bit confusing. There are very few description about the characters development. The author used the dialogues instead of writing the characters' action. It's a bit of irony because actually Morgenstern in a master in making description. Be warned, though, it is not an easy read. It took me so many days to finished it and when the story went snail slow, I find it pretty painful. I cannot tell you how many times I had to put it down.

The other thing that I do not like about The Night Circus is the lack of back story of the characters. I know their name and what they can do, but I don't actually know who they are and why they end up at the circus. There must be something that motivates them to join the ride, but I cannot find out why in the story. To sum it up, it's a thick novel on description, but thin on the plot which makes it an overly written book however, I still find it quite entertaining to read.
This is one of the hardest books to rate. Well, let's give it 3.

What do you think of  The Night Circus?

4 comments:

  1. "To sum it up, it's a thick novel on description, but thin on the plot which makes it an overly written book..."

    --I felt the same way. Sort of disappointing in that sense...for me anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, still it's a nice book to read. If only the story is more straight to the point, I personally think it would be better.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I loved this book - it is just so different from what is out there right now, or at least so different from what I had been reading. I really enjoyed being taken away to the circus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the description of the circus if very entertaining and whimsical :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...