I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Monday, October 22, 2012

Review : Changeling by Philippa Gregory

Tittle : Changeling (The Order of Darkness #1)
Author : Philippa Gregory
Publication date : May 24th 2012 by Simon Pulse

Hello everyone! It's nice to be able to post review again after my (quite long ) hiatus. Today, my review is about the book called  Changeling by Philippa Gregory. For those of you who love to read historical fiction, you may find the name to be familiar. Yes, Philippa Gregory is one of the most famous historical fiction author. This is my first time reading her book, did I enjoy it? Well, please read on!

Seventeen-year-old Luca Vero was accused of heresy but since he was such a clever boy, a task then given to him to complete (as his punishment). He and his friends traveled across Europe to find oddities and weird occurrence during their journey. Luca met seventeen-year-old Lady Isolde of Lucretili who was accused of doing witchcraft then the story goes on.

I can say that I am quite disappointed with Changeling. I think because this book is written by Philippa Gregory, so I whether I like it or not, automatically have big expectation on it. The plot is boring to me, though the first pages were quite interesting. The characters are flat and there is nothing special in them to make them memorable. To me, they're just like puppets with dialogues, not like a real person. Luca Vero for example, I found him to be too cocky and quite a snob. He keeps on saying "I am the inquirer, I will make the decision" (not quite the exact dialogue, but yeah, something like that) and I find it to be irritating.

Now, let's talk about the plot (again). The book consists of 256 pages, quite thin actually and so is the plot. There's nothing interesting in it. In the first chapter, Luca is said to have an excellent math skill and he never use that skill at all in the entire book. As for the tittle, let me remind you that the word g stops there. There's no story about it in the book, sorry to burst your bubble.
Changelin
 
I haven't read other books by Gregory, but I am very sure that this one is just not her best. I watch the movie The Other Boleyn Girl and was very impressed, so when I finished reading this book, I felt like "really?" Sadly I have to rate this book 1. I did not enjoy it at all and since this is a part of a series, I have no idea if I am to continue reading the sequel.

Now, over to you, have you read other books by Philippa Gregory?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...