I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Monday, August 1, 2016

Gosh, This Is Awkward! : Identical Book Covers

I am a fan... nope, I am a sucker for pretty covers. Many books I added to my to-read list is because I think the cover is lovely. I also have this weird hobby of window-shopping around the web (a.k.a. Goodreads) for book covers hoping to refresh my eyes. I am sure I am not the only one with this habit, but hey, who doesn't love lovely art on their books?

For this particular post, I'd like to highlight some lovely books that actually have identical twins. Yup, different books, same covers. I think it's somehow unavoidable especially if you're using stock images to decorate your book. Some photographers are extremely talented, they consistently take great pictures it only makes sense that many people will fall in love with their work.

I don't know what to think about this phenomenon. The book below have pretty face, but there is a risk of people to confuse one title and another. Take a look at Flora, for example. I have mentioned before that this book has a place in my heart, but it's a pity that there are two different books that share the same face, Margie and When We Meet Again. All three use the same Drew Barrymore lookalike as their cover. Now imagine you are walking or browsing on a bookstore and tell me about the chance you'd confuse them with another. Pretty high, isn't it, considering two of them has similar color scheme.

Now, let's take a look at Twilight. Even a book as popular as this is not free from this happening. This apple picture is also the face of C.S Lewis book, Words to Live By: A Guide for the Merely Christian. Or J.K. Rowling's The Cuckoo's Calling and compare it lo Liza Sips' Soapsop. Oh, there's more! Take a look at Playing Dead and Playing with Matches. Notice both of the title start with "playing" yet it's not part of a series nor from the same author. They have nothing to do with each other.



I don't know what to think about this, because I actually love great photos but I believe that all books deserve a unique cover. I guess it's more than choosing the prettiest photo! So, what do you think? Have you ever mistake a book because it has similar cover? What kind of book cover you like the best? Photos, illustration? Tell us!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...