I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Review : Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan

Title : Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicles #2)
Author : Rick Riordan
Publication date : May 3rd 2011 by Hyperion Books for Children

Well, I read the first book like 2 years ago, I can say I have forgotten some bits and pieces of the story, but I still continued. I wasn't very impressed and found nothing special on that book, however it's Rick Riordan, ladies and gentleman, I had to give his book a second chance.

Apophis the wicked mythological serpent acted up again, threatening to destroy the world and bring chaos to the universe. Carter and Sadie had to move fast and tackled the enemies' every steps. Apophis didn't just sit there and wait his comrades to do his dirty work for him. 

They realized that they couldn't defeat Apophis alone. Ancient Egypt notorious monster versus two adolescence kids? Well, it is very clear that they were outmatched. So, they had to find supporters, gathered any help they could find, but it turned out to be something they never expected.

So, compared to the first book, Throne of Fire doesn't have anything different. The formula is still the same, two kids with their own guardian angels gods were to save the world from an impossible-to-defeat enemy with a very limited time. It annoys me, it really does. Why? Because it's an impossible story to begin with. I know it's the old witch in me speaking, and that I have outgrown children fantasy, but gosh, I am so tired of kids saving the world. 

*sighs*

I am all for children's book, just don't make them save the world. They're not even old enough to vote on an election, let alone fighting a mighty demon with wicked supernatural abilities. Gosh, this post makes me feel so old and grumpy.

*sighs again*

I guess with this series, I just have to accept it. Rick Riordan writes about kids that save the world. I should have known that. Oh, did I say it is technically similar with the previous one? So, the pattern of this series is know that you're in danger, race with the time, fight the enemies continuously and when things get out of control, the Egyptian gods are there to save your sorry souls. Repeat this 147 times and you'll get a novel. 

The characters? Oh well. They're a bit one dimensional to me both Sadie and Carter aren't strong enough for a good fantasy story. I don't really care about them, I find them to be annoying sometimes so let's just say, I "tolerate" them. The dialogues are written just like that, conversational, nothing meaningful. Again, nothing special.

"Oh, no, cursed boy." I said. "You just watch my back. If the ceiling starts to fall and we need a shield, that's your job. But you'll do no magic unless absolutely necessary. I'll clear the doorway."
"Sadie, I'm not fragile," he complained. "I don't need a protector."
"Rubbish," I said. "That's macho bluster, and all boys like to be mothered."

Despite of my complains, I do have something I like from Throne of Fire. Bes the Dwarf God. He's a very interesting character and he's the most lovable of all. Yeah, I care about him, how funny is that since I don't feel the same way towards the main ones. Now let's end this with a quote:

Chaos is impatient. It's random. and above all it's selfish. It tears down everything just for the sake of change, feeding on itself in constant hunger. But Chaos can also be appealing. It tempts you to believe that nothing matters except what you want. And there was so much that I wanted.
2 rating for Throne of Fire. Oh, yes I will finish this story because I want to know how it ends. Not a bad book, but so far it's a bit too fluffy for me, it's like eating popcorn. You can munch a bucket of it but you never feel full. So, yeah. it's a popcorn read.

So, how about you? What's the last book you finish? Have you read other Riordan's works? Are they any good? 





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...