I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Review : Food, Girls and Other Things I Can't Have by Allen Zadoff

Tittle : Food, Girls and Other Things I Can't Have
Author : Allen Zadoff
Publication date : September 8th 2009 by EgmontUSA

Now it's time for a funny book! When you read the tittle, you may think that Food, Girls, and Other Things I Can't Have is some kind of a memoir or a non fiction book. But it's not, this book is totally a fictional work. A fat boy, a hot girl and football mixed together and voila! That's the main theme about the story.

Andrew Zansky just loves to eat and he's lucky because his mom is a caterer. As the result, his eating habits makes him a little chubby (read : obese). He hates shopping for new clothes because it's only going to make him realize that he's getting fatter and fatter and according to him, a fat kid isn't cool. He struggle to fit in his pants and his school desk. Life is just miserable. One day, this Korean girl, April Park catches his eyes. She's hot and seems very smart and Andrew would do anything to get her attention and he decided to join the football team, where all the popular guys hang out.

Well, admit it, teenage life can be very complicated. Some of us might be struggling for a better "image" of ourselves (be it in grades, looks, skills, etc). I like how the author described Andrew's life. He's a realistic ordinary guy but somehow that's what makes it more interesting. He's actually smart, but his good qualities seems to be overshadowed by his own weight.

The descriptions in Food, Girls, and Other Things I Can't Have are very clear and to the point. The book is very easy to digest. The jokes and humor are also in the right amount. The only thing I don't like about this book is April Park. I don't know, maybe the author did this on purpose to make her as the antagonist or something but I think she's so full of herself and yes, she's kind of annoying. 

I have never been overweight myself and thanks to this book, I can now understand how people who struggle with their weight feel. The good news is Mr. Zadoff put it in a funny way. He didn't make Andrew as a victim but at the same time he also sent a lesson for the readers that nothing and no one can change you other than yourself. It takes hard work, but it definitely can be done.

5 rating for this book. is definitely on my list on favorite book of this year!
Food, Girls, and Other Things I Can't Have

Have you read other books by Allen Zadoff?




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...