I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Review : Shopaholic Ties The Knot by Sophie Kinsella

Tittle : Shopaholic Ties The Knot (Shopaholic #3)
Author : Sophie Kinsella
Publication date :  November 28th, 2006 by Dell

Becky Bloomwood the shopaholic is getting married! She moved to USA, found her dream job and now she lives with the man of her dreams. Her life seems so complete. I loved the second book very much and I decided to continue reading this series *grins*. Did I find the new adventure to be interesting? Well, read on!

Becky's best friend, Suze is now married and has a baby. Now it's time for her to settle down. Everything went okay until Elinor, Becky's future mother in law decided to offer (unwanted) help with her wedding. Elinor wanted it to be held in America while Becky's parents worked their hardest for the Wedding in England. Becky somehow had no guts to tell her loved one about what was going on. Her fiance, Luke is having a personal problem and she decided not to bother him with it, so she and she alone had to handle the problem.

Honestly, I prefer the prequel than Shopaholic Ties the Knot. Things seems to be so repetitive (at least until the third book). The opening chapter starts with bank statement, just like the two previous books and my first reaction was "oh, come on, not again!". Don't get me wrong though, I like the hilarious side of this series, it is nice to have a little laugh after a long tiring day. However, it's Becky's behaviour that I do not like. She has this annoying personality, the habit of lying. At first, it may seem funny or cute, but as you continue reading it, it gets old. No one loves a liar who pretend that everything is under control (at least not me).

I understand in order to make a realistic character, he/she has to have some flaws, but this time, it's too much. I was very irritated by Becky's action during the wedding location decision and it seemed to be that she didn't learn from her past mistakes. Still, there is a good news. In Shopaholic Ties the Knot she wasn't struggling with her shopping addiction, so if you hate her addiction, this book will give you a break. Whether it is because she was so occupied by her wedding preparation, I don't know. The most important thing is she didn't shop impulsively in this book.

Maybe you wonder why would I continue reading this series if the character is a little annoying. Well, maybe it's the tittle. It's Shopaholic, for God's sake, the tittle has describe what it is about within the first second. So if I don't like reading about shopping addiction, I might be better off with other books. Becky might be annoying, careless or irresponsible, but she has a good side in her heart. She's actually a good person and a good friend. I also know how good it feels like after shopping for fun, so I think I can relate with her.

3 rating for this book, and yes, it's enough to make me decide to continue reading the sequel. I hope the fourth book will be better.

Have you read Shopaholic Ties the Knot? Did you find Becky to be an annoying person? 


More posts of this series :

Review : Confessions of A Shopaholic (Shopaholic #1)
Review : Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic #2)

2 comments:

  1. I read the first in the series a long time ago. It way alright. Funny for the most part, but the character has no redemptive qualities. I thought that I would try another in the series, but I guess that I have moved on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Becky Bloomwood has this irritating careless trait. She lies a lot too. Well, I think some books are made just for gag's sake, and it's one of them. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...