I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Review : Three Maids for A Crown by Ella March Chase


Tittle : Three Maids for A Crown
Author : Ella March Chase
Publication date : August 2nd 2011 by Broadway

I watched a movie called The Other Boleyn Girl a few months ago and I was so impressed. I haven't read the book, but I am sure it is at least equally amazing. Since then, I have been interested in the Tudor history and that's why I ended up picking Three Maids for a Crown.

This is a novel of the Grey sisters. They were the Queen's cousins, however being close to the throne has its own danger. The Grey family along with their allies decided to take the throne by doing something malicious. They then made Jane Grey, the oldest of the sisters as a queen even though she didn't want to. Jane Grey was indeed a queen, for nine days only but then Mary I of England, the only surviving daughter of Henry Tudor and Katherine of Aragon took the throne away from her and locked her in the Tower of London.

I have to admit that Ella March Chase is a very good author. Writing a story from three point of view is an awesome job. My favorite character in this book is Mary Grey. She loved her sisters so much and she would do anything she could to keep them safe.What I find a little annoying in Three Maids for a Crown is that the whole story is narrated with first person point of view. I had to go looked back to the beginning of the chapter to found out whose story it was, Jane, Kat or Mary because the voices are extremely similar. You have to pay attention to the chapter header, or you might get confused. As for the dialogue, I think it sounds a bit "too present". I mean, the story is set centuries ago, I am sure they talked differently back then.

Having said that, I still find Three Maids for a Crown as an interesting read. There are some scenes that I don't know if they are historically accurate, but I am going to find out *winks*. I give 4 rating for this book. Did you enjoy the novel?




8 comments:

  1. filmnya kayaknya ga asing deh mb, siapa ya pemainnya? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie Portman, Scarlet Johansson & Eric Bana.

    Bagus lho filmnya, buruan tonton! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aku juga sama filmnya :)
    Bukunya yg aku tahu itu the Prophecy Sister apa ya.. tapi berseri kan..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Other Boleyn Girl judul bukunya sama, mbak okeyzz. Pengarangnya Philippa Gregory. Iya, memang berseri, kali nggak salah ada 7 buku :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading historical fiction. It's nice to read about a time besides the present :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Becca! Me too, stories from the "different world" have their own attraction ;)

      Delete
  6. Following you from over at Goodreads! Great blog. I too am super interested in anything to do with the Tudor lineage!
    stop by my blog at http://anovelexperience2011.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Trema!
      Welcome to my blog. Yes, Tudor theme is so interesting. I notice there are many interesting books there in your blog :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...