I'm currently on hiatus. Will be back soon :)

Thursday, July 21, 2016

DNF Review : 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl by Mona Awad

Title : 13 ways of Looking at a Fat Girl
Author : Mona Awad
Publication date: February 23rd 2016 by Penguin Canada 

Humorous chicklit is one of my go-to genre whenever I feel like I need something fluffy. I am all for twist and turns but sometimes my old brain is too tired for all that and it makes me crave the sweet and light read.

So, I chose 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl, hoping to find some sweet and fluffy reading experience. If you take a look at the title, I bet you'd expect something funny. Unfortunately I can guarantee that that is not what you're getting.

This novel is about two overweight girls with their life problems. I can't give you further details because I stopped at around 20%, so I didn't know much. Just like other books I DNF, this book has too many appalling qualities that I decide to stop reading. 

First, the book itself is confusing. It is written in short stories style, each chapter is a new story still related to the previous chapters. I find it to be extremely annoying. Why start a new theme when you still have something to say? Why make it look like short stories anthology while your story screams it should be made into a regular novel? Why catch a reader's attention only to ignore it later when you start the next chapter? I don't know what's behind the author's motive, but certainly this method doesn't work. Period.

Second, the characters are as annoying as dust mites. You guys, I've never been overweight, but these girls don't deserve a sympathy. They're bitter, cold and judgemental and believe that everything is about their weight. They hate others that have better figures, condemn them when they devouring their snacks. I can relate envy, but these girls are over the top, I can't stand them.

Later on I'm going to be really effing beautiful. I'm going to grow into that nose and develop an eating disorder. I'll be hungry and angry all my life but I'll also have a hell of a time.

To sum it up, my hope of feeling happier after reading this was ruined. 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl is a depressing story with depressing characters. Definitely don't pick it up if you don't feel like being annoyed. Such a shame because the first chapter started quite strong, only to get worse in the pages. 

DNF, and an auto 1 rating for 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl. Not my cup of tea. Gosh, I never thought that hunting for a good chicklit book wouldn't be easy! So, have you read any good chicklit books lately? Care to recommend some?




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...